Publii has two languages for the UI preinstalled; English and Polish, but many more are available thanks to the helpful efforts of our community. In this section, we'll look at how to install and activate new language files in Publii.
The Languages Screen
The languages screen in Publii displays the currently-selected language, and allows you to switch to any of the other installed translations for the Publii interface. To reach this screen, click on the Three-Dots Icon at the top-right of the Publii interface to open the main menu, then select Languages in the list of options; you will be taken to the Languages screen where you can see the list of installed languages.
Activating a Language
Activating an installed language couldn't be simpler; just click on the language box that you wish to use, and the UI language will instantly switch to the newly-selected languages.
Downloading New Languages
Thanks to the efforts of our community, there are several alternative language packs available for Publii. To use them, they will first need to be downloaded from Publii's GitHub Page for languages. To do so, follow these steps:
- In the Publii app, open the Languages screen by clicking on the Three-Dot Icon to open the menu, then on the Languages option.
- In the list of available languages, click on the Get More Languages box; this will open your browser to the GitHub page specifically for Publii translations.
- On this page, click on the Go To File button that is near the top of the page, to the left of the About section; this will open a list of language files currently available.
- The list of files here might be confusing at first, but it's much simpler than it looks. Each complete language file is compiled into a single .zip file that can be downloaded and installed; these files are the first ones listed after the Readme.md file at the top. The other files in the list are the component parts of these zip files and are not necessary for installing a new language.
- Select the language file that you wish to use; each file will have the path downloads/xx-xx.zip, where the X represents the language code e.g. en-gb.zip refers to British English, pt-br.zip refers to Brazilian Portugese. Click on the language file that you wish to use.
- On the next screen, click the Download button on the right of the screen; the file will be downloaded, ready to be installed.
Installing a Language File
Once a language file has been downloaded, it will need to be installed. To do this, follow these steps:
- In the Publii app, open the Languages screen as before by clicking the Three-Dot Icon to open the menu, then on the Languages option.
- On the Languages screen, click on the Install Language button at the top of the screen. This will open the file explorer.
- Navigate to the location where the language file you want to install was downloaded, and double-click on it.
- The language file will now be installed, and the new language will appear as an option on the Languages screen; simply click it to set the new language as the default.