In Publii the name you enter as the owner of the website will be saved as an author, and more authors can be added as needed. Every new post on your site must be attributed to an author, and each post's page may include an author section that provides some basic information on the writer. Users can also visit an Author Page that is generated by Publii, where they can read the bio and see a list of posts by the selected author.
The author that is created during the initial website setup is set as the Main Author, meaning that it cannot be deleted. However, the main author's details can be edited at any time. You may also add, remove, or modify new authors as needed. To do so, click on the Authors option in the left-sidebar. You'll be taken the Authors page.
Creating a new author
To create a new author, in the Authors screen, click on the green Add new author button. The Add new author sidebar will appear on the right, with the following basic options available:
- Name - Sets the name of the author.
- Description - Tell your readers a little bit about the author; the description will be added to the author info section of posts so people know who's writing for them!
- Email - Adding an author email allows visitors to send messages to the author via the author page.
- Website - Adding a link to the author's website or blog
- Avatar - Here you can upload a picture of the author; it'll appear with the author information on posts and on the author page. Just drag and drop the photo onto the box, or click on the Choose File button to browse your computer for a photo.
- Use Gravatar - If you've got a Gravatar attached to the author email then you can click this option to automatically add the Gravatar as the author picture.
- Featured Image - The featured image usually appears at the top of the tag page and is also used as the tag-preview picture. To add a featured image to your tag you can either drag and drop an image onto the Featured Image box, or click on the Choose File button to open a file explorer window to select a photo from your computer.
- Alternative Text - This option is only available if you have a featured image set. Here, you can add text that will be displayed if the image cannot load, or read by a screen-reader used by visually-impaired users to describe the photo.
- Caption - Another featured-image-only option, text added here will be added as a caption under the photo.
- Credits - Name or other text added here will appear as a credit, letting people know who took the picture or owns the copyright if it is not your own.
- Slug - Sets the URL-friendly name of the author page; for example, an author called John Smith may use john_smith, without capital letters, unsupported symbols or spaces. The slug is used to create URLs and links to the author page. If no slug is defined, it will be created automatically from the author's name.
- Page Title - Sets the meta title for the author's page, which can be useful for SEO.
- Meta Description - Sets the meta description for the author page; again, a useful tool for SEO.
- Custom Template - If the currently-used theme includes several author page templates to change the style or layout, you will find them in this section. Select the desired template from the drop-down list.
Once this basic information is entered you can click the Add New Author button to save your new author.
Deleting an author
As with posts and tags, to delete an author simply click on the checkbox next to the author(s) you wish to delete. A Delete button will appear at the top of the author list; click this, then click OK on the confirmation popup to confirm deletion. Note that it is not possible to delete the main author (the author created when first setting up the website).
Modifying an author
To change the name, description, or any other aspect of the author's options, simply click on the author you wish to modify on the Authors screen; the options for the selected author will appear in the right sidebar and you can make your changes. Don't forget to click Save Changes once you're done! It's possible to modify all authors via this method, including the main author.
Finding an Author
If you have a lot of authors on your site, it may be troublesome to find a specific one in the author list. By clicking on the column headers (e.g. Posts, ID etc...) you can sort your author list to make it easier to find what you're looking for. Alternatively, clicking on the magnifying glass icon next to the Authors title at the top of the page will open the dynamic search bar; start typing the author's name in this field and the list will be instantly filtered.