Sign in

Can’t connect to sftp server

• This topic has 11 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by .
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    fDoLPp5tckW52qNG

I have verified that connecting to my server using sftp in the terminal works fine (`sftp sftp://username@example.com/var/www/html/blog`) but for some reason Publii won’t connect. When I test connection, I just get the message “Error! Application was unable to connect with your server.” I am using password authentication.

Any help is appreciated, I’m completely stuck.

Tomasz Dziuda

Hi,

How did you configured your SFTP settings in Publii? Could you provide us an anonymised example?

--
    Do you appreciate the support you've received today? If so, consider donating to the Publii team by clicking here; we'll be sure to use your donation to make Publii even better!

fDoLPp5tckW52qNG

Thank you for the response, here is my configuration:

Type: SFTP

Domain: https:// example.com

Port: 22

Server: example.com

Username: username

Authentication method: Password

Password: s3cr3t

Remote path: /absolute/path/to/blog/

Tomasz Dziuda

Looks correct… Could you try to sync (of course it won’t work) and then check logs in Tools -> Log viewer? Especially the deployment-errors.log and deployment-process.log files?

--
    Do you appreciate the support you've received today? If so, consider donating to the Publii team by clicking here; we'll be sure to use your donation to make Publii even better!

fDoLPp5tckW52qNG

All error logs are empty, deployment-process.log just says ERR (1): undefined

Tomasz Dziuda

Could you provide me a temporary access to your SFTP in a private reply?

Unfortunately all my servers which uses SFTP uses key-based authentication. I suppose that there can be some bug during preparing a connection in the SFTP library.

--

fDoLPp5tckW52qNG

I cannot do that; the server belongs to the company I work for and I cannot give outside access.

Tomasz Dziuda

So at this moment the only solution to deploy the website is to use manual upload – it will generate the output files which can be manually uploaded to the server.

--

fDoLPp5tckW52qNG

That’s not going to work for us. Do you have plans to support sftp password authentication?

Ideally we would use key authentication, but we require a system that can support multiple non-technical users–they do not have the knowledge or means to generate and manage keys. Publii appears to provide sftp password authentication based on the options available in the interface, but I believe you are saying that it hasn’t been tested and that, based on my report here, it is broken.

Please let me know if I misunderstood; but if I do understand correctly then I would recommend removing the sftp password authentication feature, as it may save the next person from spending time trying to fix a server issue that doesn’t exist.

Tomasz Dziuda

Hi again,

I have checked SFTP auth with password and key after requesting my dev ops to change server configuration and allow password auth for SFTP.

In both cases it works fine – app connects with server and then allow me to upload a website.

I got only one issue – the sync stopped at 0 operations, but the problem was caused by a wrong remote path in the server configuration. After fixing a path it was ok.

I suppose that your server is somehow incompatible with a SFTP library used in Publii or something is wrong with your server settings in Publii (but for me it looks correct).

--

Mickeyx

Exactly the same issue here. Everything was working fine on June 6, when I did a successful sync with 36.0 release 5.  Now the 36.1 and the release 5 don’t work. Not sure why this happened. I’m on Mac 10.15.6

I use serverpilot to create an “App” on  google cloud. It worked perfectly.

Connecting with Transmit works. Connecting with Publii gives a connection error and temporarily blocks IP access to the server.

Tomasz Dziuda

@Mickeyx – please check if the remote path is ok and if the connection test is successful. Publii tries to write a file in the pointed directory to make sure that it will be able to upload your website.

--

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.