Sign in

Publii 0.36 Prerelease 1 ready for testing; come help us make it better!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    BobBob
    Support

Publii’s development has been flying along at a brisk pace, and we’re edging closer to our first full, non-beta release. But with so many new features being added, we need your help testing each release to catch all of the bugs and iron out any creases in the user experience until it’s smooth as silk, especially with the new Block Editor, which makes it easier to create, modify, rearrange and style posts and is a key part of this release. To that end, we’re aiming to release a new version each Monday until the full release, which is currently planned for February, starting with this one, officially titled the ‘Publii Prerelease 1’, and.

Before we cover what changes are included in this release, there are a few important things we’d like you to know:

1. The Block Editor included in this release is only supported by the Simple theme; obviously this won’t be the case for the full release, but during this initial testing phase you’ll need to install and use the Simple theme version 2.1.0.0.
    2. While technically this release works like any previous Publii release, we strongly recommend that it is not used to build any live projects. For testing purposes, we suggest creating a new test website using the Simple theme only.
    3. Posts written in the Block Editor in this release are only compatible with the current version of Publii; creating a post in the prerelease version and then rolling back to the current beta version, 3.5.x, will cause the post to crash and become uneditable.

If you want to help us with testing the Publii Prerelease 1, you may download it right now:

1. macOS – Publii-0.36.0-prerelease-1.dmg
    2. Windows – Publii-0.36.0-prerelease-1.exe
    3. Linux – Publii_0.36.0-prerelease-1.deb, Publii-0.36.0-prerelease-1.rpm, Publii-0.36.0-release-1.AppImage

Now let’s cover what new features you’ll find once you’ve got it installed:

Block Editor

The Block Editor is a writing-focused alternative to the standard WYSIWYG editor. Each paragraph of text is separated into its own block, which can then be individually controlled; switch between HTML elements such as lists, headers, and quotations, align the text, apply built-in styling included with the theme, or assign specific CSS classes or IDs. Each block can also be moved, making it easier to rearrange your post when making changes, without needing to copy and paste.

The Block Editor is the main addition in this release, so we’d appreciate any feedback you can provide. If you encounter any issues or have features that you’d like to see included in the future, let us know by posting your opinion on this topic!

Updated WYSIWYG Editor

The standard, no-thrills WYSIWYG editor in Publii hasn’t been left in the dust; we’ve updated it to Tinyย  5.1 version, which brings lots of little fixes and some nice new functionalities such as emojis and an image resizer. We’ve also rebuilt all the functions that support the editor to make them smoother and more stable.

Spell-Checker

Everyone gets a little paranoid about their spelling abilities now and then, especially when writing in English which, to be honest, takes gleeful pleasure in being unintuitive and contradictory. With this feature, you can check your work for errors and get spelling suggestions to help you on your way. The dictionary for this feature is automatically set based on the site’s language settings (found in the Site Settings section of Publii).

Rebuilt Post-Editing Page

We really want Publii to put the emphasis on writing, so we’ve rebuilt the post-editing page so that it defaults to displaying the Editor only, with no option clutter or other elements; kind of like a blank sheet of paper (though with more features!). The right-sidebar options and stats bar can be displayed by clicking the settings icon or the ‘View Stats’ text, respectively.

Other New Features

There’s a couple of other nice additions we think you should know about:

• Improved UI – We’ve made lots of small changes to the UI and UX, so you should find working with Publii a more pleasant experience than before.
    • Dark Mode – A button has been added to the top of the app so that you can switch to dark mode, and give your eyes some respite from the bright white LEDs of your monitor.
    • Bugfixes – What would a Publii release be without bugfixes?

Give Us Your Feedback!

Since we’re building up to the full release of Publii, it’s very important that we get a varied set of opinions on the new editor and other features so that we can work on improving everything before the big day. So please do pop into this topic and let us know what you think, whether you’ve found a bug, or just have some suggestions about the implemented features, we’re ready to listen.

We’ll be back shortly with our next update; remember, we’ll be pumping out a new update each Monday until we hit the full release, so we’re grateful for all testers who can help us out on this final stretch!

--
    Do you appreciate the support you've received today? If so, consider donating to the Publii team by clicking here; we'll be sure to use your donation to make Publii even better!

trumpettotrumpetto

Great!

Can I use this besides my current version?

Edwin

BobBob
    Support

Can I use this besides my current version?

Not on the same device. But don’t worry, you can install it and after testing downgrade to the previous version.

--
    Do you appreciate the support you've received today? If so, consider donating to the Publii team by clicking here; we'll be sure to use your donation to make Publii even better!

andriezzoandriezzo

I would like to use it but I’m afraid that my current (production) websites will break ๐Ÿ™

trumpettotrumpetto

I’m scared ๐Ÿ™‚

I use two OSX machines and have my ‘Sites location’ and ‘Backup location’ on iCloud to sync all.
    So to test I can:

• Install the beta on Machine B and change the ‘Sites location’ and ‘Backup location’.
    • After the fun I can reinstall 0.53.3 on Machine B and change the ‘Sites location’ and ‘Backup location’ back.

?
    Thanks

Tomasz DziudaTomasz Dziuda

Hi all,

I think that the best solution is to make a backup of the current websites in a safe place (just duplicate your sites catalog), and then let’s try the new prerelease version ๐Ÿ™‚ Version for the more paranoic users ๐Ÿ˜‰ : make a copy of the whole Publii directory (with configs, logs etc.).

On macOS you can also just put the app on the desktop and run it from there – then it will work in parallel with old Publii version. The same trick will be available on Linux when using AppImage version.

Please remember that new websites which uses block editor won’t load properly in the old version of Publii ๐Ÿ™‚

Unfortunately on Windows it won’t be possible – our installer will override old version of Publii.

--

trumpettotrumpetto

That’s clear to me.
    Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant!

๐Ÿ˜ฏ

trumpettotrumpetto

update

I chose to create a test-account in MacOS and place the beta on the desktop as you suggested.
    Maybe a bit overkill but it makes me happy ๐Ÿ™‚

Now I can fool around and keep my other sites save.

I had trouble changing the ‘Sites Location’ while using the beta alongside the production version on the same account.

“An error occurred during saving the Global Settings. Please try again”

trumpettotrumpetto

Hi all,

Looks and feels great, nice dark mode!

I did some small tests;

1. For a while I didn’t see the option under ‘Add new post’ to choose the editor type. My fault.
    2. After creating a block and type ‘tab’ to see the list. On my macOS the tooltip hangs/locks on the ‘Header’.
    3. In an image block set to wide, the post settings on the right will hide the post partly. But this may be an intentional settings panel on top of the post editor.

More later.

BertBert

Started playing with 0.36 too. Trmpetto’s post above was really helpful! I too did not find the dark mode and the choice of editor type at first.

Experienced the same as Trumpetto’s point 3.

The block editor takes some getting used to… So far it tends to distract from pure writing. ( I had a joke in my head about the block editor and writer’s block. I won’t tell it here ๐Ÿ˜‰ย ย  We’ll see how it goes after getting more used to it.

BertBert

โ™ฅ image resizer โ™ฅ

BertBert

Schermafdruk12
    A question:ย  is this possible with the block editor or not? (inserting image in text) The example was made with the Tiny editor.

Tomasz DziudaTomasz Dziuda

@Bert – we are working on this feature and it will be available most probably in the next 1-2 weeks ๐Ÿ™‚

--

ajeet

Hi,

I have not installed it for now ( will do later), but Can I import markdown file using this new text editor ?

andriezzoandriezzo

Few bugs and strange things (MacOS Mojave 10.14.6)

1. after clicking the + button (or pressing TAB key) the tooltip sticks to the first item (headings)
    2. if I quit the item selection, then clicking the + button … nothing happens. it’s OK if I press TAB
    3. the tooltips of single image insert (top right) do not appear when hovering on the icons.
    4. Inserting image gallery:ย  sorting is available but it’s not so clear how to do it. I think the arrows should be visible for every item and the dragging should be more visually evident.
    5. When editing items in the Block Editor… it’s not clear how I can apply the changes. There’s a gear icon at the bottom, sometimes I saw a check icon (but is referred to all the blocks?). In my humble opinion it’s not clear for the workflow.
    6. the Selects dropdown are a bit buggy
    7. again, the Selects dropdown: why red?

PROs:

1. The interface of image insert is great overall
    2. image gallery can be wide, narrow etc !
    3. interface of block positioning, convert (i.e. from h2 to p) is great and fast
    4. the dark mode is perfect!

Hope this is helpful.

Anyway, you did a great job, can’t wait for the next release!ย 

BertBert

Anyway, you did a great job, canโ€™t wait for the next release!

+1.

I have a tendency to act before I think… Anย  Undo button would be nice in the block editor… if possible of course.

Yoav

I wonder if you could simply add a new user to Windows and try Publii there. That should be the easiest and best solution for Windows. Am I correct?

itips3727

Publii v0.36 is a joy to use, especially with dark mode turned on: save power and my eyes appreciate less glare. It seems very stable on macOS Catalina v10.15.2: no glitches found so far. Love the spell checker: a natural extension for any great website builder. Will keep testing. Thanks for providing.

Yoav

Okay, finally installed and tested the new version of Publii. So, firstly, if you own Windows Pro, you can use Windows Sandbox which creates a temp virtual machine that exists until you close it. For me, it was the easiest solution to begin beta testing Publii 0.36 and help report bugs and share my amendments to the incredible Publii team.

Here is my review/remarks:

1. Within the Block editor, when you hover the “CONVERT TO:”, the alignements and other buttons there have no titles.
    2. When you click on the Tab and get the quick edition menu, titles are again missing.
    3. In the “Menus”, there is a design issue for when you try to assign a menu to a specific location (the color is missing for the menu name).
    4. If you choose the OS default font family in the settings then this should not be generated into the website HTML files: <link href=”https://fonts.gstatic.com/&#8221; rel=”preconnect” crossorigin=””> as it is not relevant.
    5. When saving setting in the Global Settings, there is no message whatsoever to confirm the success of the saving.
    6. In the Global Settings, applying “Time format:” to 24 hours does not make any difference, the setting is not applied.
    7. Finally, it seems like the Global Settings page is more buggy than expected: most parameters cannot be saved properly.
    8. After previewing my test website, there is a tiny HTML issue: HTML1500: “Tag cannot be self-closing. Use an explicit closing tag.” See below

New things:

1. The spellchecker is sooo great!
    2. The Dark Mode is โ™ฅ!
    3. Markdown syntax is another amazing addition.
    itips3727

Three questions / queries please:

1. How do you create data tables for a post when using the new Block editor?
    2. Presumably, once you’ve created a post using the new Block editor, and saved, later you can’t continue to edit the page using the WYSIWYG editor (and vice versa)?
    3. Presumably, the spell-checker can also be turned on in the WYSIWYG editor, yes?

Thank you.

BobBob
    Support

How do you create data tables for a post when using the new Block editor?

The “table” block is missing, we will add more in the future. So please be patient – this is just the first version of the pre-release block editor.

Presumably, once youโ€™ve created a post using the new Block editor, and saved, later you canโ€™t continue to edit the page using the WYSIWYG editor (and vice versa)?

We do not plan to add this function – you can write using three different editors by post, so there should be no problem choosing the right one for your needs.

Presumably, the spell-checker can also be turned on in the WYSIWYG editor, yes?
    Thank you.

Finally, the spellchecker will be available in all editors.

--

baregipa

In the 3.6 version is not expected to add the cart to create an e-commerce?
    This is the turning point that almost everyone expects, to be able to create an e-commerce with a static and fast page and software like publii, which I like.

BobBob
    Support

In the 3.6 version is not expected to add the cart to create an e-commerce?…

Please share your thoughts about the available options. We need strong feedback to improve the product and release free of defects the first stable version.

We got a plan to implement popular e-commerce solutions, but not all at once.

--

BertBert

What is the correct way to start writing a Markdown post? It works somewhat after choosing the WYSIWYG editor, but only bold and italics, not lists or links. Iโ€™m a Markdown-newbie, so donโ€™t laugh too hard ๐Ÿ˜†

Could it be that Markdown is not yet implemented in 0.36 prerelease 1?

In that case: apologies for the above question!

baregipa

I only asked what you wrote in December 2018, that in 2020 there would be a development such as e-commerce, I didn’t ask for anything

BertBert

We are spoiled children. Having been given a free and really beautiful Publii 0.36 Prelease1, we just start complaining ๐Ÿ˜•

This is a very small thing I noticed. Nothing urgent:

The taskbar on my pc now has the elegant Publii starter button: Schermafdruk13

But, once Publii is opened, it appears in the list of running programs like this: Schermafdruk14
    Just like Firefox shows its icon, Publii should. It did so in version 0.35. Here it is just something generic, that only says “Publii” when hovering over it.

dendyjoom

It is great that you do this and do not forget about us. You have a great product) I’m waiting for a version where you can describe your language settings in the configuration)

Thank you for your work!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.