Publii 0.36 Prerelease 2; come help us make it better!
- This topic has 17 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 4 months ago by .
- January 20, 2020 at 11:11 am #1329BobSupport
This week we’ve added a new Markdown editor and focused on improving the Spellchecker.
Before we cover what changes are included in this release, there are a few important things we’d like you to know:
- The Block Editor included in this release is only supported by the Simple theme; obviously this won’t be the case for the full release, but during this initial testing phase you’ll need to install and use the Simple theme version 18.104.22.168.
- While technically this release works like any previous Publii release, we strongly recommend that it is not used to build any live projects. For testing purposes, we suggest creating a new test website using the Simple theme only.
- Posts written in the Block or Markdown Editor in this release are only compatible with the current version of Publii; creating a post in the prerelease version and then rolling back to the current beta version, 3.5.x, will cause the post to crash and become uneditable.
We’ve changed the Spellchecker’s engine to use the native spellcheck implementation included with Electron 8, which makes it more stable and reduces the app’s weight by around 15MB, which is nice. For the actual spellcheck functionality, we use the OS spellchecker for MacOS and Hunspell on Windows and Linux.
One other thing; the ON/OFF toggle for the spellchecker has been moved to the Website Settings section of Publii, rather than the App Settings. This is because the spellcheck can now be enabled on a website-by-website basis, rather than requiring the whole app to be reloaded.
This is the third and last editor we have added to Publii. The base for our Markdown Editor is https://simplemde.com/, but we’ve added a few modifications. It’s now possible to add a post link using the CTRL+K or Command+K shortcut, and images can be uploaded using drag & drop.
Also, we’ve made some improvements to the UI and dark mode.
Finally, a quick thank you for your comments regarding bugs; we’re aiming to fix each of these reported issues over the next three prerelease versions.
If you want to help us with testing the Publii Prerelease 2, you may download it right now:January 20, 2020 at 12:16 pm #1331champi
Just tested for posting one article.
The editor is pretty unusual for me. But it works. I’ve just noticed a small bug when you use the arrow to navigate in the text. It’s a bit odd and hard to describe with text but I’ll try…
When you are in a paragraph. If you want to go down to the next paragraph, when you are at the end of this paragraph you have to press down twice to go to the next paragraph. If you continue to press down to the third paragraph, you don’t have to press down twice between two paragraphs. If you change the way you go (pressing the up key), you will encounter the same bug the first time you change of paragraph : cursor will go at the beginning of the paragraph, and then you need to press up twice to go to the previous one. You don’t need to press twice then until you change of direction.
I hope it’s clear… English is not my native language so… If you need best explanations I could try to do a video later.. Just let me know…January 20, 2020 at 12:19 pm #1332BobSupport
T If you need best explanations I could try to do a video later.. Just let me know……
Yes, please attach the video.January 20, 2020 at 12:56 pm #1336champi
Here it is. I had to do a huge compression… An it’s still over 5 mo. So here is a send.firefox link with 3 videos in it (because of those other bugs) : https://send.firefox.com/download/a4c64109de9de999/#I8KowlsnhkNHsKfG871GBA
For the first issue see video IMG_8026_converted.mp4
I have a few other bugs (tested on Mac)
January 20, 2020 at 4:37 pm #1341ajeet
- On mac, cmd-z to cancel doesn’t work (nothing happens)
- If you try to insert a text inside a text, it creates a line break. Then if you want to remove the line break with backspace it doesn’t work. You have to use the delete key instead. (video : IMG_8035_converted.mp4)
- Speaking of line breaks, you can’t add a manual line break (ctrl-enter in general). You could add a <br> in your code but…
- If you have <br> in a text (html mode), when you go back in paragraph mode, <br> are removed
- This last example is pretty annoying on long texts… (video : IMG_8036_converted.mp4)
First impression with the new markdown editor:
Experience is not smooth using keyboard buttons. I used it once. I had to use mouse several times just to move up and down in Windows 10 Pro.
I have been using a markdown editor for several months ( https://github.com/marktext/marktext ) and it works very smooth with the help on keyboard.
I will attach a video shortly once I test it multiple times.January 21, 2020 at 6:01 am #1334Bert
Thanks again Bob and Tomasz!
Wonderful. I’ve been playing a bit with the new Markdown editor. Very nice…dragging images…wow!
One thing I noticed: an image from the web does not work.
This example comes from simplemde:
but it does not result inJanuary 21, 2020 at 10:43 am #1381Bert
Just a quick correction to my post above:
Images from a web link Do work, just not this one.
I checked the above Markdown in the Dillinger online editor. There it works.January 21, 2020 at 7:01 pm #1434Tomasz DziudaModeratorJanuary 21, 2020 at 7:03 pm #1435Tomasz DziudaModerator
@bert – it is an issue with external images – I have to improve the parser as currently all images get responsive URLs what is invalid for the external images.January 21, 2020 at 7:29 pm #1436Bert
Thanks for explaining Tomasz.
I had good luck with several external images… just not the little yes-boy…
Here’s a flower picture, taken from the search engine:
That resulted in:
Hope this helps.January 21, 2020 at 9:20 pm #1437Harald Krause
Settings – File locations can not be set, neither by the File Select Dialog nor by entering the pathJanuary 21, 2020 at 9:23 pm #1438Tomasz DziudaModerator
@Bert – the issue occurs only for the preview mode in post editor – normal preview should works fine.
@Harald Krause – yes – all file/directory selects are broken – I have found that issue today – it will be fixed in the next release. It is caused by the Electron API changes for the dialog element.January 22, 2020 at 8:21 am #1441champi
Sorry here is the new link ^^ It’s OK for 7 days now. https://send.firefox.com/download/f9a707e74e27b8d8/#Iz4oDHQbUZYoMkLjTY0QCAJanuary 22, 2020 at 3:23 pm #1446Verhoeckx
Evaluation Publii prerelease 2
System: Fedora 31 (Silverblue edition)
- Text entry works fine.
- Adding images to the gallery doesn’t work. Image are not ‘uploaded’.
- Is it possible to align an image to the right?
January 23, 2020 at 5:16 pm #1460trumpetto
- When I click on ‘Add post title’ I expect this text to disappear.
- What is the function of the plus sign at the left side of the text? When I click on it nothing happens
- When I hover over an icon in the icon bar I expect to see a text label. It doesn’t.
- The text ‘EDIT Block’ suggest that I can edit the block further when I click on it. However it’s only a title. My suggestion: rename it to ‘Block editor’.
- Is it possible to give an image a manual width and height?
- I have to click two times on the trash icon to remove the block? Is this intended?
- Before you click on the three dots at the right side, the three dots should be aligned with the top of the block.
- It’s not yet possible to add a video with the new block functionality I think?
The about says Prerelease 1 🙂January 23, 2020 at 8:18 pm #1461Verhoeckx
I think I have found a bug:
When I change the sites location address (global settings), the address isn’t changed.
Maybe this is due to the fact that I use Fedora Silverblue (ostree based) and that the home directory of all users is ‘/var/home/[username]’?
There is also a small error in the documentation (Docs -> Installation): the home directory of a typical Linux system is not /Users but /home.January 25, 2020 at 10:31 am #1510rafazundtThis reply has been set as private.January 25, 2020 at 11:06 am #1513BobSupport
@rafazundt I think it works as should, Simple theme uses default excerpt function to display teaser text, and it strips html; have a look at the post – you will see that strikethrough text works.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.