Download
We're evolving to serve you better! This current forum has transitioned to read-only mode. For new discussions, support, and engagement, we've moved to GitHub Discussions.

Multilanguage support

Are you planning to add Multilanguage support this year or next? Thanks

Hi,

It definitely will not be this year, and I think the end of the next. We have a lot of other work and unfortunately, we are not financially able to afford a very fast development of many features at once.

First of all, thank you Bob and rest of the crew for Publii! So happy not having to fiddle around with WordPress anymore and other substitutes.

If it’s of any help, i’m willing to translate it to Swedish. I’ve translated various projects before like Avast Antivirus, Miui (Android ROM), Deepin OS and some smaller projects and would love to have this translated in my native language. Also want to make a kind of review/guide article about Publii on my site since I absolutely love the way it’s built and works and having it translated in Swedish would be the “icing on the cake”.

Hi @deebs,

Thank you for your help offer. At this moment we have no plans to implement multilanguage UI as it would lead to many issues and will make Publii development much harder and time-consuming. We have only far plans to implement multilanguage websites generation in Publii, but as Bob wrote – it is a topic for the next year.

Thank you Tomasz

I understand. I’ll be ready when you are πŸ˜‰

Any light pointing in that direction ? I means, it is probably still in the todo list but when we could expect that feature πŸ˜‰

Also if any of you could share me on a way to prepare myself, for now thinking of launching a bilingual website and here is my approach:

1. domain.tld as a landing page
    2. en.domain.tld for english
    3. fr.domain.tld for french

I would prefer to have domain.tld/en and domain.tld/fr but it don’t seams being possible with Publii.

Hello,

I see that multilanguage support is planned as the next point in the roadmap.

Are we talking here about the support of the interface in several languages? Or the possibility of creating sites in several languages?

Are we talking about creating multilingual sites with several domains?
    FR.domain.com
    EN.domain.com

or this:
    domain.com/fr
    domain.com/en

I am very interested in the possibility of making multilingual sites by living in a country with 4 national languages…

thank you in advance

Hey Andy: Support for the interface in several languages is already here. So, I would assume it’s for having a website in multiple languages.

Yes, I imagine but as the point has been there for a long time, you never know πŸ™‚

It is possible to implement more than one language, but you have to inject all the posts manually into the input.

You must take into account that if you make a multilanguage site you need an optimised sitemap with support for the link alternate. In my case I use the standard “0.9 http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml”. You must also modify the head of each post adding the alternate link of its clone in the other language. This would be the minimum and indispensable to avoid that google detects duplicates and we have indexing problems.

I do not recommend creating subdomain, it is not optimal for seo, you must redirect all traffic to a single domain.
    Create a folder in input/root-files/ with the name of the language you want (for example /FR) and there you should inject the posts that you have to translate by hand with a text editor.

My last project, which is still unfinished but may be helpful, is in English and Spanish:

https://www.gfrprebartechnology.com

Can you explain a bit more? I am fascinated by your project https://www.gfrprebartechnology.com and trying to implement something similar on my own.

I know how to implement the hreflang tags thanks to this post: https://forum.getpublii.com/topic/solved-hreflang-mulitlingual-support-how-to-decode-html-from-custom-field/

However, the root-files procedure you explained escapes me.

From what I understand, I have to create a copy of each post inside the root-files folder? But how? If you could explain in detail… And also, what about the home page, the index file?

A more in-depth tutorial would really really be good to understand. Thanks so much in advance!

[anonymous] wrote:

Hi,

It definitely will not be this year, and I think the end of the next. We have a lot of other work and unfortunately, we are not financially able to afford a very fast development of many features at once.

Hello Bob!

Would it be in the roadmap this year ?Β πŸ˜‡

Thanks in advance πŸ™‚

Yes, I think so. We have a solution for this, implemented, e.g., on our home page. It will be released as a plugin if everything goes according to plan. When, I don’t know exactly.

[anonymous] wrote:

Yes, I think so. We have a solution for this, implemented, e.g., on our home page. It will be released as a plugin if everything goes according to plan. When, I don’t know exactly.

Nice to hear, and looking forward to this big step!

I didn’t know that the front page was made with Publii… Ever thought about releasing the Publii theme in the marketplace? πŸ˜…πŸ‘€

😱 great news ! Can’t wait πŸ₯Ή

Oh yes, I hadn’t seen that the Publii page was now translated.

Hope to see that soon 🀩

To @Bob and @Tomasz ;

maybe my idea is hover simplified and cannot work for the multilanguage but what if it was possible to change the language at the tags level

for an example a project (website) have english as default language and than when french or français is choosed as a tag then

<html lang=”en”> become <html lang=”fr”> and all the snippets and rest.

What do you think ?