Sign in

Having problems restoring site to get work done after new system install!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mh4it

I was just a few steps away from buying the Cortado theme from the marketplace but I am having a problem!

My site is already published to a live URL, but I went into the Publii /sites folder and backed up the project manually, I generate the backup.

Then I proceeded to install Devuan, can only get Publii to run inside Whonix, and… I can’t restore the site I made???

I really need to work on the SnipCart or Stripe Elemenents features at this point, but I can’t!

What do I do?

I’ve already consulted documentation, tried copying pasting original /sites & /backups project files into a same named folder…

All I can get is the blank new site I created called test.

<h2>Restoring Backups on a New Publii Installation</h2>
    If you’ve switched to a new computer and want to restore your site backup to a new Publii installation, you’ll have to take a couple of additional steps:

1. Install and open Publii, and create a site; the name isn’t important, but you will need access to a site before you can access the Backup and Restore tool.
    2. make sure that you have specified a Backup Location in the Global Settings of Publii.
    3. In the backup directory, create a new folder and give it the same name as the site, but use lower-case only. If your site has spaces, replace them with hyphens e.g. if your site name is My Site, then the folder’s name should be my-site.
    4. Copy your backup file into the new folder.
    5. Now, in Publii, click on Tools in the left-sidebar and open the Backups tool; you will see your backup appear in the list.
    6. Click on the Restore button next to your backup; a dialogue box asking for confirmation will appear. Click the Restore backup button to begin the restore process.
    7. Your site is now ready to use!
    Attachments:
    Tomasz DziudaTomasz Dziuda

Hi,

Could you exactly describe steps which you did to move Publii sites to another OS? I suppose that something goes wrong during this process, but I need a better description to find a reason of your issues 🙂

--
    Do you appreciate the support you've received today? If so, consider donating to the Publii team by clicking here; we'll be sure to use your donation to make Publii even better!

mh4it

Thanks for getting back to me!

I just copied the entire site folder out of : /Documents/Sites/

Tried using exact name, tried moving to Backup folder as well.

The OS change was from one Debian to another!

Ok, please try to do following as it seems that the article misses one step:

1. Store your backup in a safe place to avoid losing it
    2. Create a new website using the same name as your website to move
    3. Then under your new backup location please put your backup file in the directory with the same name as your website (if it does not exist – please create it)
    4. Now you can try to restore backup under your newly created website.

Alternatively: just unpack your backup, rename the output folder to be the same as old folder name on your previous OS and move it to your publii sites directory (you can check this location under Global Settings in Publii) – then restart Publii and it should appear.

--
    Do you appreciate the support you've received today? If so, consider donating to the Publii team by clicking here; we'll be sure to use your donation to make Publii even better!

mh4it

I do not have any backup or archive only the folder found within /Sites!

So it should be enough to move it to the Publii sites folder – Publii will detect it automatically after the restart.

--

mh4it

Thats what I’m confused by, it’s just not working!  I’ve rebooted more than once, but the first site ‘test’ shows.

Attachments:

Sorry, but the content of this folder does not look like a Publii website :/ Publii sites have only three catalogs inside:

• input
    • output
    • preview

Please compare it with your “test” site.

--

mh4it

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the delay.

Ok, you were right, I was copying the wrong folder (from a HUGO test folder).  I copied the right folder, showing

• input
    • output
    • preview

The name of the folder matches exactly from the original project, is there something else I need to do?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.